It’s hard to digest the idea of someone else using your phone against your will, even when you’ve got your phone in your own hands. Our phones contain a lot of personal information regarding our private lives. This includes our bank account details, our chats with family members, all of our email accounts, and lots of more stuff. For this purpose, mobile security is quite essential. Now, if you’re thinking ‘my phone was hacked how do I fix it you need to do a few stuff in order to solve this matter.
Table of Contents
How To Tell If Your Phone Is Hacked
In order to find out if someone hacked your phone or not, you need to keep an eye on a couple of things. These includes
- Any Sort Of Unknown App
Is there any sort of app you’re not aware of on your phone? Are you certain you didn’t download any sort of app? If yes, then this could be a sign that your good is actually hacked.
- Dead Battery
Another thing you need to keep an eye on is that is your battery running down quickly? A dead battery sign indicates that your phone might be hacked
- Phone Getting Hot
Is your phone a bit too hot even when you’re not using it a lot lately? If yes, then this could be another sign that indicates a hacker is using your phone
Are you getting a phone bill that’s quite hard to understand? You haven’t used a lot of data lately; however, your data chargers are at their peak? Another reason that indicates your phones hacked. Hackers track your phone using GPS, and this could be one of the reasons why your charges are too high
- Text Messages
A hacked phone received texts that are in code. These messages are delivered from the coder, and it’s not possible for you to understand them. This is another sign behind the fact that your phone is hacked.
How To Fix A Hacked Android Phone
Now, are you thinking of “my phone is hacked, how do I fix it?” If yes, then there are a few things you need to do as soon as possible. These include:
- Deleting Unknown Apps
If there’s an app on your phone, you do not remember downloading; then, this is one of the apps your hacker is actually using. These apps are always running in the background, even when you have nothing to do with them. One thing you need to do is to delete these apps as quickly as possible. Make sure to stay safe this way.
- Antivirus Software
There are loads of antivirus software out there. They are designed for operating systems, and it’s best if you opt for well-rated antivirus software. This software will act as a shield. It will protect your phone from attack keeping it safe.
This way, it also ends up preventing someone from hacking your phone. There are lots of free software available; however, you will have to pay for it if you need to opt for a superior one.
- Keeping Your Phone Updated
Next up, another thing you need to focus on is to keep your phone updated. Regular updates make it possible to keep your phone’s defense at its peak. These contain all the latest security systems that are needed in order to protect your phone.
Some people usually end up ditching new updates due to memory issues; however, trust me, which will cause you in the long term. Simply try updating your phone to provide it with security.
- Keeping An Eye On Your Phone
Now you need to make sure to keep an eye on your phone bill. The excessive usage of your phone will result in high data charges, which is something you do not want.
Make sure to go through your bill and find out whether your bill is a lot higher than usual or not. If you feel like it is, you need to get in touch with your service provider and come up with a solution to this matter.
Another thing you can do is to opt for a factory reset. This method will end up clearing all of your phone’s data. This includes all your personal details and whatnot. Your pictures, settings, contacts, apps, passwords, notes, and whatnot. Each and everything will be erased if you opt for this method.
How To Protect Your Android Phone From Hacking
It is quite likely for your android phone to be hacked compared to an iOS one. This is due to its software. Now, if you’re thinking of ways to protect your android phone from getting hacked, have a look at a couple of ways listed down below.
- Try using a security app in order to protect your phone from being hacked. The security app will inform you if there are any threats to your device or not.
- Another thing you need to keep in mind is never to root your device. This makes it relatively easier for many people to hack your phone, ending up stealing your data.
- Another thing you need to keep in mind is to download apps directly from the google play store, no other platforms. This decreases your chances of downloading software that could result in being bad for your phone
- Always use a highly strong password in order to lock your phone. This reduces the odds of your phone being hacked to a minimum
- Make sure to always keep your app to do date
- You need to make sure your system settings are fine. This includes
- Enabling “play protect.”
- Disabling “developer options.”
- Disabling “allow apps.”
How To Protect Your iPhone From Being Hacked
Now there are a few things you need to keep in mind in order to protect your iPhone from being hacked. These include:
- Make sure to update your iOS. This provides a lot of new security systems that will help us in protecting your phone.
- Another thing you need to make sure of is never to jailbreak your phone. Most people out there do end up doing this; however, it’s of no use. It will only end up increasing the chances of your phone being hacked.
- Another thing you need to keep in mind is to never download anything from any other place except for the official App Store. Downloading from other places might make it possible for hackers to enter your phone
- You need to keep a strong password to unlock your iPhone.
- Just like android, you need to keep your apps up to date at all times.
- You can also opt for two-factor authentication with your Apple ID.
How To Prevent Future Hacking
Now that you’ve fixed your hacked phone, you need to keep a few things in mind in order to prevent future hacking. These include:
- Turning off your Bluetooth: Now, you may not be aware of this, but Bluetooth is a common way that hackers use in order to hack phones. Make sure to always switch off your Bluetooth when not in use. This will prevent your phone from getting hacked in the future.
- Public WiFi: Public WiFi plays a huge role when it comes to hacking phones. It’s best if you use your own data in order to keep your phone safe from hackers.
- Make sure to keep your phone upgraded: As mentioned earlier, you always need to make sure to keep your phone upgraded to the latest software. This ends up providing you with a much better and stronger security system.
- Using official apps: Always make sure to use official apps. Do not download any sort of hacked version you find on the internet. Trust me, they will end up damaging your phone and will increase the chances of someone who’s looking to hack your phone. Always keep all these things in your mind.
- Make sure to create a strong password: you need to be creative here. You need to make sure to come up with a password that nobody will be able to guess. Do not use common information since that’s relatively easy for one to guess. You need really strong passwords in order to protect your phone from being hacked.
- Do not connect your phone to various devices: Another thing you need to keep in mind is to not connect your phone to unknown devices such as computers. Do not enable the option that says ‘trust this computer.
This guide is for someone who’s constantly asking themselves, “‘my phone was hacked how do I fix it.” Make sure to follow all the stuff mentioned in order to protect your phone from being hacked. Also, you need to follow all the tips as well that will end up preventing future hacks. All of the stuff mentioned above actually works, so make sure to follow each and everything.
I’m a writer, artist, and designer working in the gaming and tech industries. I have held staff and freelance positions at large publications including Digital Trends, Lifehacker, Popular Science Magazine, Electronic Gaming Monthly, IGN, The Xplore Tech, and others, primarily covering gaming criticism, A/V and mobile tech reviews, and data security advocacy.